Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January Makeup Haul

Few entries ago, I mentioned something about my drugstore makeup online shopping. AND GUESS, WHAT? THEY’RE FINALLY HEEEEERE!!! *insert cray cray dance moves here*

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

You might say “hey, you just had a makeup haul last month!” And yeah, while it is true, I’d like to justify my spending on makeup. I do not constantly buy makeup products. I’m not an impulse buyer when it comes to makeup (I can’t say the same thing on shoes, though haha); I just buy items when I deem its necessity. I scour for stores that sell the lowest-priced makeup. If it’s possible, I also look into possible dupes of the products I’ve been lusting over. I rest my case. LOL

 

Moving on, I’m just so ecstatic to receive this haul last night! Thanks to our friend, Angel; you’re definitely sent from above (pun intended haha!). So my January makeup haul came from Target and Beauty.com. It’s my second time to purchase at Target, and my first to buy from Beauty.com. I usually avail of the free shipping policy (free shipping on $50 orders and up), but due to time constraints, I paid a few extra bucks for their 2-day delivery option.

 

I love *online* shopping at drugstores ‘coz they’re really affordable. The items I buy in the US are the ones not available here in the Philippines, or if the price difference is quite big. Plus, the quality of most products are actually good. The same holds true here in the Philippines. My favorite drugstore brand in the Philippines is Nichido, no doubt! I’m in love with their blushes (especially Tomato), eyeliners, and eyebrow pencils. They’re pretty cheap but the quality is definitely at par with international drugstore brands.

 

First on the list is e.l.f. Studio Geometric Eyeshadow Pallete in Glam.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I got this palette on sale, priced at US$5.10 (around Php225). The packaging is so-so. It reminded me of the Barbie makeup in the department store a kikay child would want for Christmas. The eye shadow book itself is housed in a flimsy plastic casing.

 makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almaymakeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

The eye shadow itself is ok. What I like about it is the variety of shades and finishes. You’d find both matte and shimmery shadows in the pan. I haven’t tried wearing this the entire day, so I couldn’t comment on how long it last. The pigmentation of some shadows are great, while some are so-so.

 

Overall, this palette is ok if you just want to play around with eye makeup. The quality is ok, too, but the packaging sucks. Basically, you get what you pay for.

 

Another eyeshadow palette is Wet n’ Wild Color Icon Collection Eyeshadow Trio is Sweet as Candy.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almaymakeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

This eyeshadow trio is a good way to teach one how to apply eye makeup. It’s quite easy to use! Use the lightest shade on your browbone, another color on the entire eyelid, and the darkest shade on the crease.

 

I enjoyed using this trio, although the pink shade (for the eyelid) is too shimmery for my taste. The pigmentation is ok, as well. Got this at Beauty.com for only US$2.99 (around Php130). Would love to try out other shades, too!

 

Next on the list is Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate in 05 and 103.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almaymakeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

Basically, the difference between the two is their finishes. The black one (shade 05) has a slight shimmer, while the red one (shade 103) has a matte finish. I haven’t tried either yet, so I can’t say how they differ in shades. (Yeah, I was that excited to share my haul that I didn’t take swatches of the products mehehe.) I already own Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in 107, and I’m impressed with it, so I have high expectations on these two new lipsticks.

 

But they do differ in price. The former’s priced at US$5.14 (around Php227), while the latter is at US$5.24 (Php232). I got these at Beauty.com, so I’m not sure if other stores would sell them at different prices.

 

Next up is NARS Lipstick in Schiap.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I’ve been lusting over this lipstick for quite sometime now, but I just can’t muster enough willpower to do so, since I already bought a handful of lipsticks in 2013. I couldn’t spend another peso again on lipsticks (plus, konti na lang, papagalitan na ‘ko ni boyfriend). So, for my first lipstick purchase, I finally gave in and bought this.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I’d have to say that this is my current perfect pink lipstick. It has a semi-matte finish, and it’s not at all drying to the lips. Plus, it stays quite long, like 6-8 hours. It’s not at all too neon for me, which I really like. It’s the hot pink that I can wear anytime!

 

The only thing I don’t like about this product is its packaging. I’ve read tons of horror stories on NARS’ packaging, and I’m praying they’d do something about it. Plus, I like to “feel” where my money is at, if you know what I mean. This friggin’ lipstick costs US$26 (around Php1150), but the tube is light as air. It’s lighter (and smaller) than the MAC bullet lipsticks, even if NARS contains a tad bit more product (NARS weighs 3.4g; MAC weighs 3g). I like my Chanel lipstick coz the packaging is quite heavy.

 

Next lip-related purchases is Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm in Complex and Audacious.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I’ve always been a fan of Revlon’s lip-related products. My first purchase is Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm, which is in 2011. I instantly fell in love with it because it stays quite well on the lips even after drinking and eating. They then reinvented the product by combining the lipstain and balm, thus Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain. I own 3 shades of the Balm Stain just because I was impressed with it.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almaymakeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

My sister saw this particular Matte Balm online, and we decided to give it a try, since it’s not (yet) available in the Philippines. I tried out Complex last night, and I loved it! It’s not drying on the lips, plus it’s a good nude shade. Not my favorite, but definitely worth trying.

 

I got these Matte Balms at Target for only US$6.49 (around Php280). So far, I love this product already!

 

And, up next is Almay Liquid Eyeliner in Black.

 makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

The only reason why I bought this is because I wanted to try out non-Asian brand eyeliner. The liquid eyeliners I trust came from The Face Shop and Etude House, and it’s because I love them too much. My recent favorite is the Kiss Me brand, which I absolutely adore! I want to try out “Western” brands for a change, and see how they compare with my Asian favorites. Plus, it’s owned by Revlon (another drugstore favorite), so why not try it out?

 

I got this tube at Target for US$6.49 (around Php280). It’s cheaper than my favorite Asian brands. Hopefully, it’ll be a favorite.

 

Another item I’ve been wanting to buy is Rimmel Natural Bronzer in Sun Bronze.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

This is a cult favorite among the vloggers and Youtube-rs my sister and I watch, so we wanted to try out this product firsthand. We tried it out last night out of sheer excitement, and, so far, we’re quite impressed with it, especially in contouring.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I’ve heard of other great bronzers, like MAC’s and  NARS’, but I think they’re too expensive, especially I’m a newbie at contouring. This bronzer has a matte finish and great pigmentation. The packaging is plastic, and may be prone to breakage.

 

I got this at Beauty.com for only US$5.24 (around Php232). Will let you know more about this product once it has undergone road testing already. Haha!

 

Next is Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Transparent.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

As I’ve mentioned earlier, Rimmel’s packaging for its powders is plastic. Ergo, it’s prone to breakage. Sadly, this happened to my pressed powder. It came in the mail broken already, but we couldn’t return it as our friend is bound to leave the US already (but they do offer returns for free!). I’ll try to salvage this pan, though. I’ll share it with you guys once I’ve mastered the art of salvaging broken compacts. LOL

 

 

This pressed powder’s supposed to be the “finishing” powder after putting makeup. I heard great stories about this product, so I have high hopes for this. I bought this at Beauty.com for only US$5.24 (around Php232).

 

Next is e.l.f. Eyebrow Kit in Medium.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I’ve been blessed with sparse eyebrows. Among my sisters, sa’kin yung pinaka-kawawa. My friends call my eyebrows “sad.” Yep, they’re that bad. In high school and for the most part in college, I veered away from plucking or shaving my eyebrows (or lack thereof). But, dear friends of mine introduced me to “shaping” the brows. I used to have my eyebrows trimmed at the local salon near my college apartment, and the lady there taught me how to define my brows.

 

Luckily, I was able to snag an eyebrow kit from Forever 21 during my visit in Hong Kong. It was a great cheat in shaping my eyebrows since it came with stencils; all I had to do was to place a stencil on top of my eyebrows and brush it with powder.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

But apparently, one has to master the art of eyebrow makeup. My good friend and college roommate, Maika, went with me to Landmark and helped me pick up this eyebrow kit, which costs Php249.75. I’ve heard of great eyebrow kits, like Benefit Brow-zings, but it’s pretty expensive (US$30). But I think this e.l.f. eyebrow kit is a great dupe for Benefit Brow-zings. It both has a pigmented wax for shaping the brows (left pan) and a powder for setting (right pan). Both kits also come with hard angle brushes, blending brushes, and mirrors. The latter, though, has tweezers and an extra brush.

 

If you’re like me who doesn’t care about brands, then e.l.f.’s eyebrow kit is a great buy. The pigmented wax and setting powder has great pigmentation and longevity. Perfect for everyday use!

 

Last, and definitely not the least, is Maybelline Fit Me! Concealer in Medium 25.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I have to be honest with you guys: I don’t use concealer. I rely on my BB cream for that coverage I need for my under eyes. I own one, yeah (Bourjois Bio Detox Organic Concealer), but I can’t quite seem to use it incessantly. But due to my horrible sleeping habits ever since I quit graduate school, I have this ginormous eye bags and ugly skin. I’m now more prone to acne, thus the curiosity (and eagerness) to find the best concealer in town.

 

makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

I simply googled “best drugstore concealer,” and tons of hits on Maybelline concealer appeared on my computer screen. I immediately put it in my cart, and voila! It’s here.

 

I got this tube at Beauty.com at US$4.99 (around Php220). I wanted to get the lighter shade (Sand 20) since I read somewhere that your concealer should be a shade lighter than your skin tone. But I saw this Youtube-r, who has almost the same skintone as I do, who used the same shade (Medium 25) on her, and it looked great on her. When I tried it on myself, it blended quite well on my skin. I liked it a lot since it wasn’t too light for my tasting, and it provided enough coverage for my eye bags. This is a great buy, IMO. It does the job of concealing pretty well, plus it’s not cake-y at all.

 

I went to the MAC counter at SM Megamall a few days back, and the MUA used StudioFix Concealer (in NC25) on me. After a few hours, it seemed cake-y under my eyes. Do concealers really do that, or is it just bceause of my skin? I heard great things about MAC’s StudioFix Concealer, so I was planning to get one myself. But after trying it on, I hesitated. Should I buy it or not? :/

 

Ooohhh. I completely forgot! Beauty.com offers free samples of products for every purchase. Here are the three samples I got.

 makeup, online shopping, target, beauty.com, drugstore.com, rimmel, nars, revlon, elf, maybelline, wet n wild, eyeshadow, bronzer, powder, lipstick, lipstain, balm, eyebrow kit, concealer, eyeliner, almay

 

Top is Go SMiLE Double Action Teeth Whitening System (one ampoule), bottom left is Laura Geller Beauty Spackle Tinted Under Make-up Primer, and right is Erno Laszlo Morning Beauty Rescue. I absolutely love free anything; who doesn’t, right?

 

That wraps up my January makeup haul! I swear not to buy anything again for the rest of the month! Haha. *Good thing I already have a stockpile*

 

Toodles, loves!

Dianne

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You got a lot! I love the Wet N Wild trios and I'm so jealous that you got a few Revlon Matte balms. I've been meaning to purchase a few myself but never got the chance, hehe. And I'm sorry about your Rimmel powder. Hope you can fix it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do buy the Revlon Matte Balms! ;) It still has the menthol-y thingy that I love from the previous Balm Stain. Too bad Target didn't have the other shades I wanted when I purchased these :/ Do let me know if you get your hands on the matte balms!

      Delete
  2. Hello from France
    I am very happy to welcome you
    Your blog has been accepted in Asia Philippines N°654 a minute!

    On the right side, in the "green list", you will find all the countries and if you click them, you will find the names of blogs from that Country.
    Invite your friends to join us in the "directory"!
    The creation of this new blog "directory" allows a rapprochement between different countries, a knowledge of different cultures and a sharing of different traditions, passions, fashion, paintings, crafts, cooking,
    photography and poetry. So you will be able to find in different countries other people with passions similar to your ones.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world.
    The more people will join, the more opportunities everyone will have. And yes, I confess, I need people to know this blog!
    You are in some way the Ambassador of this blog in your Country.
    This is not a personal blog, I created it for all to enjoy.
    SO, you also have to make it known to your contacts and friends in your blog domain: the success of this blog depends on all Participants.
    So, during your next comments with your friends, ask them to come in the 'Directory' by writing in your comments:
    *** I am in the directory come join me! ***
    You want this directory to become more important? Help me to make it grow up!
    Your blog is in the list Asia Philippines N°654 and I hope this list will grow very quickly
    Regards
    Chris
    We ask that you follow our blog and place a badge of your choice on your blog, in order to introduce the "directory" to your friends.
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/06/12090603083012502810288938.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/19/120319072128505749603643.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/07/12/12071211040212502810092867.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/28/120328020518505749640557.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/15/1203150723211250289584870.png
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/21/12092110155912502810343002.gif

    If you want me to know the blog of your friends, send me their urls which allows a special badge in the list of your country
    I see that you know many people in your country, you can try to get them in the directory?
    Please! Actively support the "Directory" by making known to your friends! Thank you! "Unity is strength"
    Not need an invitation to join the Directory. Any person who makes the request is entered


    New on the site
    Last news of "Directory Blogspot" "
    Soon we will award the best Fashion blog and Makeup, crafts, cooking, paintings
    The Competition is open

    Ranking of Countries
    Invite your friends know made ??
    the website to raise your ranking in the Country

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice share! :)
    I've heard a lot of about the Rimmel Stay Matte, but i have too many finishing powders sitting in my kit that i have to finish.
    By the way, if you have time please do visit my blog. I'm new.
    Nice to find new people who shares the same interest! :)
    www.sumwearco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the similar opinion about Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain. I like it because it lasts for hours plus I love the taste of it! It's weird isn't it? He he he
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete

© 2013 Dianne's Little Adventures, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena